Proud
to be an American!
OBAMA WINS AGAIN! – I was just as proud of sending my
ballot from the other side of the world, as I was when I stood in line the
first go ‘round!
This is not the first time since moving to Southern Africa that
I have felt proud. I am fortunate to
have been able to step out of the United States mechanism and to take a look at
who we are from the outside in.
Life without television, radio, and newspapers has allowed
me to see the good in who we are and what we do. I couldn’t follow the campaigns, or watch the
debates or the conventions but when I talk to the local Basotho and expats it
becomes clear just how grateful they are for American generosity.
I can see Americas’ foreign aid working in Lesotho. From food security, to roads, to water
projects, and HIV/AIDS prevention, things are getting done that would possibly
not have gotten done without foreign aid.
Money, technology, and the skills of many volunteers and paid employees
are helping to bring change to far away villages in The Mountain Kingdom. My organization is a prime example of what
the generosity of Americans’ can do; and the orphanage that we feed into is funded
by an organization from England.
Not only do I see Americans doing great things here, I am
also comforted in knowing that I am protected by the most powerful government
in the world; and access is just a phone call away. In the event that I get sick, a phone call is
made to the nearest hospital so that they are expecting me when I arrive. (Since we speak so little of the local
language, we are provided an escorted around the maze of a hospital.) If the country becomes politically unstable,
and it is deemed necessary, I could be airlifted out, if there is an emergency
at home or I just don’t want to live here anymore, one phone call and I’m on a
plane home within 72 hours!
America it is a great
country, but it can also be better. It
is my hope that during Obama’s second term, we as a nation will pull together
and work for the good of all humanity. I
know, that sounds pretty lofty, but who would have believed 5 years ago that I
would be living on the African continent, bathing in a bucket! Anything is possible.
So yes! Today like
many other days in Lesotho, I am proud to be an American!
Xoxoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment